First week beta = 506! We’re officially pregnant!
Our baby looks like this right now.
Despite its extremely tiny size, your little embryo is busy setting up house. While the amniotic sac (also called the bag of waters) forms around it, so does the yolk sac (don’t worry, you’re not having a chicken), which will later be incorporated into your baby’s developing digestive tract. And the embryo now has three distinct layers of cells that will grow into specialized parts of your baby’s body. The inner layer, known as the endoderm, will develop into your baby’s digestive system, liver and lungs. The middle layer, called the mesoderm, will soon be your baby’s heart, sex organs, bones, kidneys and muscles. The outer layer or ectoderm, will eventually form your baby’s nervous system, hair, skin and eyes.
Fatigue…I’m great in the morning but man, by 3:00, I need a nap! I took 2 over the weekend…and I’m NOT a napper. I’ve been getting into bed around 8:30 and fall asleep by 9:30.
Sleep…Asleep by 9:30…awake by 2:30. I know insomnia is going to be a problem. I’m not happy about this. I did sleep through the night 3 times this week so that’s promising.
Boobs…big and sore. My bras barely fit but I know it’s going to get worse so I’m putting off buying new ones as long as I can.
Nausea…not much yet. I have a few moments here and there like I’ve had too much caffeine on an empty stomach. A little dizzy and queasy, but it goes away quickly. Hoping to keep it this way!
Smell…I have a super power! Good grief, my sense of smell is off the charts. Bad smells are SUPER bad and good smells are SUPER good.
Food tastes so amazing right now. It’s like my taste buds are supercharged! I’m trying to focus on healthy food because, well, because I’m growing our little person and I want a big, fat healthy baby. And, I know food is going to be disgusting in a few weeks (I have no grand delusions that I will be one of those lucky women who doesn’t get morning/all day sickness) so might as well enjoy it while I can.
No aversions yet!
I’m still pretty bloated from the extra hormones. I’m about 10 lbs heavier for my starting weight than I’d like to be (also partially from the hormones). But it is what it is. I’ve been doing a lot of walking but not really much else in terms of exercise. I’m hoping to get cleared for some yoga, Pilates, Zumba, light weight training, etc. I know exercise helps with fatigue, promotes better sleep and just makes you feel better in general.
Great! I think I’m just too thrilled at this point. My mood has been great! The only meltdown I had was when I found out we were pregnant. Lots of happy tears!
My Rock. My Comedian. My BFF. My Whole Wide World. My Jerry. He’s been nothing short of spectacular with everything baby. From what got us here to where we are now. I’d be a hot mess without him. We are a great team and we’re going to be great parents!
And..he’s on top of everything. We’re pushing extreme here. At 8:30 pm…”OK, time for bed! You need your rest”. If I make a noise…”What’s wrong?!?!”. At dinner…”Are you allowed eat that?”. It’s cute albiet a little over the top. He’ll figure it all out.
Quote of the week…”How’s your uterus feel today?”
I know it’s been radio silence for a few weeks on this little blog. There is good reason…
I’d like to introduce you to our little beans:
That’s right, boys and girls…after 1 miscarriage, 2 rounds of IVF and 3 years of trying to start our family, Jerry and I are expecting TWINS! (What the what?!?!) Lima bean is on the left, Butter bean is on the right.
In case you have questions, here are some answers:
* We did our 2nd round of IVF in August. Yes, in addition to packing up our apartment, moving into Lot 256, Jerry going to Dallas for 4 days on business, Jerry’s birthday, the cousin’s wedding in Rhode Island (which we had miss…whaaaa!) and a visit from Jerry’s family…we decided to make a baby. Or as it turns out, 2 babies.
* We graduated from our RE (reproductive endocrinologist) on the 9/23. Because of my age, history of blood clots and the multiple pregnancy, I will be considered high risk and be monitored by MFM (maternal fetal medicine). I will be on Lovenox (a bloodthinner) for the entire pregnancy. Yay…more shots!! Worth every single one…
* The shock of twins is still sinking in. It’s thrilling yet a little terrifying. But we are embracing this amazing gift and taking it one day at a time. Fortunately, we have our own personal twin hotline in our BFFs, The Laws! JLaw, wanna move in for a few months in May???
* My preliminary due date is 5/13. That would be 40 weeks. I’m guessing that will change. There are so many variables with a multiple pregnancy, but if all goes well (and it will), we’ll most likely deliver at 37/38 weeks. I want to cook these little beans as long as I can! I’m setting mini goals for myself to make it less intimidating. First one is 12 weeks. We made it!
* We will be finding out the sex(es). Jerry & I always wanted to wait and find out the sex when the baby is born. But level heads have prevailed and we recognize that 2 babies take a lot more planning than 1. We’ll be doing some sort of gender reveal thing on the blog. Jerry wants two boys We don’t care about the sex of the babies, we just want them to be healthy I want one of each. Obviously.
So we’ll probably have two girls (YAY!)
* We will NOT be telling what names we are considering/have chosen. Don’t even ask. I am not interested in anyone’s opinion on our chosen monikers and it will be a lot harder to make fun of them when you’re looking at our sweet little babes. And something has to be a surprise!
* We will be more than happy to take any no longer used clothes, toys, books, random baby stuff off of your hands! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
* I’ve been feeling pretty darn fantastic. I have been blessed with an amazing first trimester. Not much nausea, zero throwing up, no headaches. I have been pretty tired but fortunately it doesn’t hit until around 3:00 in the afternoon. I can usually catch a second wind with a long walk (Jacob is a fabulous walking partner!) but I’m toast by 8:30. Good thing not-pregnant me loves to crawl into bed by 9:00 anyway. I get weepy quickly but it’s short lived. I don’t think I’ve been too moody, but you’ll have to ask Jerry for the truth on that one.
* I’ve been keeping secret baby files…this blog is about to get busy! They were all written in real time as my pregnancy has progressed. Some of the info will be redundant. But this is a diary primarily for Jerry & I to look back on. I’m currently in week 12 and we’ll be caught up pretty soon.
* Most of the people who read this blog have been told our big news. If you happen to be someone we know in real life, please keep it off of social media. We’re not going public (FB official) until around Halloween. It’s our news to share, mkay? Thanks a bunch!
So that’s about it.
We’re feeling unbelievably blessed and so, so thankful for these babies! I’ve been keeping an insanely positive attitude from day one and have completely thrown my “Hope for the best, prepare for the worst” mentality right out the window. I have so much faith in these babies! And in my body to take good care of them. I have faith in Jerry and I as a team. And I have faith that we can handle whatever is thrown at us. It’s easy to be fearful and to obsess on what could go wrong. But I’m having none of that. I am choosing to focus on what will go RIGHT.
We can’t wait to meet you, Beans!